Friday, July 20, 2012

WE DID IT!!

So I am glad to report that my son has been sleeping in his own bed for the last week. We are both very excited about it. We are still working on getting rid of the sippy cup to go to bed but it’s a work in progress. I got all of my questions answered. I am going to address my sub questions so that everyone can have a clear understanding of what I found out in my research. Yes, he should have a nightlight because children can be scared of the dark at this age. He should not have the TV on because the blue light can affect his melatonin production and make him think that it is morning instead of night. I did not read anything about negative or positive effects of him taking a sippy cup to bed with him, but as we are going to start potty training in the next month; I am going to start working on it as soon as I feel we are 100% with sleeping in his own bed all night long. When he is growing or just seems hunger it is just fine to give him a snack before bed to hold him over. I can read to him as a bedtime routine but not while he is trying to fall asleep because he will be expecting that if he wakes up in the middle of the night. That is the same case with lying with him as well; I shouldn’t do it unless I plan on staying in there all night long with him. I should not let him play until the time he goes to bed, he needs some unwind time. The research says 2-3 hours of unwind time but I am going to start with 45min-1 hour for now. I should always get up right away and put him back into his own bed if he wakes in the middle of the night. I have figured out that he can also have sleeping problems when he is growing so I need to make sure that I stick to my routine even when it gets rough. Also to help me out, if he is getting enough sleep then he is less likely to through tantrums and is less crabby throughout the day. I did not find my answer to giving him anything if he wakes in the middle of the night or if I should give him medicine to help him fall asleep; however, I don’t think I need to because all if the research I have found has helped me and him significantly. So the answer to my main question: How can I help my toddler sleep? Have many different answers.
I also have learned that co-sleeping is not so good for the parents or the child. I was always very pro co-sleeping since my husband has only been around for maybe 4 months, collectively, of the 29 months of my son’s life. I felt like it gave me a little part of my husband when he was away; it made me happy and comfortable. In my research I found that it is not good to co-sleep. In the article, “Co-Sleeping (bed sharing) Among Infants and Toddlers”, from Pediatrics, Dr. Calvin A. Colarusso, says that in the 2nd year of life it is important for children to explore their sexual identity, their independence, as well as give the mother and father time for intimacy. As I read this, I can totally agree with what Dr. Colarusso is saying and I think that it is a good time for me to kick my son out of my bed. My husband will be getting out of the military soon and we are going to need alone time to reconnect and my son is going to have to get his sleep because he will be starting full time daycare. So this is something we all need to get used to; sleeping in our own beds by ourselves.

I have learned many new things and some of them are very interesting. I got all of my questions plus some that I wasn’t even looking for answered. My son and I are much happier that we are getting more sleep and doing things independently. I could argue whether children or parents cause the sleeping problems in the home. Also whether or not co-sleeping is positive or negative for parents and children.
We have done it! In his own bed!




















Work Citied

Nancy G. Powers, et al. "Cosleeping (Bedsharing) Among Infants And Toddlers." Pediatrics 107.4 (2001): 873. Academic Search Premier. Web. 19 July 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment